This year’s new minimum wages for all domestic workers are set out in the table at the end of this article.
Who is covered?
- All domestic workers in South Africa working in a private household
- People employed by employment services
- Independent contractors who are doing domestic work
- A person doing gardening in a private home
- People who look after children, sick or old people and people with disabilities in a private home
- A person driving for the household
- Domestic workers employed on farms
- Domestic workers employed in activities covered by another sectoral determination or bargaining council agreement (such as contract cleaning workers).
Are you in Area A or Area B?
Area A includes most major metropolitan areas; Area B is all other areas. See the full lists on the Department of Labour website http://www.labour.gov.za/DOL/downloads/legislation/sectoral-determinations/basic-conditions-of-employment/domesticwages2016_2017.pdf.
Share this article